Monday, April 19, 2010

The Decision

After amassing as much information as I could find, I made a decision. I contacted Dr. Toaff by email. Expecting an email response, my husband and I were surprised when we received a call from the surgeon himself, the next day!
Dr. Toaff gave detailed information about what to and what not to expect with the diagnosis of Adenomyosis. As if his credentials were not enough, Dr. Toaff gave us the phone numbers of ten women who had the surgery. I called two of them at his urging.
These women were the same age as me, late 30's. One lived in Oklahoma City, the other in the Sierras of California. They both made the painful trek to Philadelphia and back again in five days. Two days were traveling, one day for pre-op appointment, two days in the hospital. The long trip home was painful, but they lived through it. Their healing time was two months. They both agreed that after the first two weeks, they felt better. After two months, they were new women. These women had been where I was and promised that my life would be better than ever if I had this surgery.
A life without pain or pills was something I could not remember. Taking a chance and using every ounce of bravery I could summon my husband and I made the appointment for two weeks from that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment